[meteorite-list] DAWN drives up to Vesta

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:29:06 -0400

Hi Mike,

Clearly, orbit was achieved at least by yesterday, at some point
probably while we were chattering about this. Since they basically
drove up to Vesta and we don't know the outer limit with super accuracy
there can be no real time congratulation announcement.

So a few more significant digits will need to be calculated on the mass
of Vesta and then some engineer will rubber-stamp with hindsight an
"official time" of capture. But they will need to do a little more
communication with the spacecraft to determine precisely where it is to
get that super precise mass, and from that back out when orbit actually
started which might only be an estimate with the best data, anyway. So
that is why this is a different moseying up to Vesta capture that will
be successful under a wide range of mass assumptions.

I don't know if this is being maintained accurately to reflect the
maneuver into orbit, here's the link though:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/fullview4.jpg

seems to be a simulation noting the relative speed between the probe
and Vesta as well as the distance. It shows ~50 m/s (104 mph) and
13,100 km 8,100 miles), and those numbers haven't changed much. That
sounds like a fast approach already so if the proposed two week descent
is still the plan and the image data accurate, at this point we are
well past the capture and have already started the orbital transition
to lower altitude (the two week decent into the first scientific
orbit).

Unless I'm doing something wrong, a normal satellite at that 13,100 km
distance would have an orbital speed of 82 miles/h (132 km/hr) and in a
circular orbit no relative speed toward Vesta instead of the 100 mph.

The image numbers were 700 km further out and 3-5 km/h slower 10 hours
ago so it doesn't exactly add up, but it shows the ion engine is
currently thrusting and still approaching Vesta. Since the initial
target orbit was 15,000 km and they are around 13,000 km now from Vesta
according to this you might also imagine that either they decided to
come in more closely, or Vesta was more massive than calculated.

Best wishes
Doug