[meteorite-list] Moon/Earth impact rates

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 16:55:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sterling -

Usually, you are spot on, but in this case...

In fact, no one knows if the Earth sweeps stuff up for the Moon, or the Moon pulls in more stuff that hits the Earth. NASA's garbage estimates for ELEs are a perfect example of how bad their "modeled" impact estimates are; NASA's estimated human ELE rates are even worse - they appear to be off by two orders of magnitude.

Earth impact rates need to be determined from Earth data. Then a more general model may be worked out, using accretion data from all bodies in our solar system.

All the theories in the world added together do not amount to one fact.

As far as the effects of hyper-velocity dust goes, I seem to recall parts of Surveyor being examined after lunar surface exposure.

all the best,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas