[meteorite-list] [IMCA] Collateral Damage.

From: Richard A. Kowalski <kowalski_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 12:30:42 -0700

All,

I'm a little disappointed that the Count used an inflammatory subject
line, but I think understand the reason behind its use. I expected and
am not surprised to see the bashing of the Meteorite Men show. I've
shared my opinions about the show in the past so will not say more about
it other than I doubt very much the show had anything to do with this event.

(BTW, if I am not mistaken, the 3rd season is in production right now,
so my guess is any program ideas might get considered if they get a
season 4...)

I'm in more of the opinion that the Count met with grifters. Jim
Wooddell first mentioned this idea on the Met List so I am in agreement
with him on this.

The whole thing sounds suspicious to me. It sounds more likely that
their hope was to meet with someone who did NOT know what they were
doing and sell their crap to him. Maybe I'm wrong here. Count spent time
with these people and has a better vantage point, but as soon as they
showed up unexpected, a day early, the red flag started waving for me.

Count mentions the "husband". Here's a strange bird. Seriously, do you
know of any man who has children to feed, that will allow anyone to
essentially give away all their worldly possessions just for a box of rocks?

I certainly hope the truth is this and not the story that was told to
Count. That indeed would be sad. I also hope the Count stops giving out
his home address to complete strangers. A neutral location to meet is
always a much better idea. The next "seller" may not be so friendly and
be more interested in taking possession of his collection than adding to
it...

Cheers from balmy Tucson. Only reaching 40C (105F) today!

--
Richard A. Kowalski