[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101 (term: bolides)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:22:13 -0600

Hi, List

I award Geekly Martin (his name for himself)
the Palm for metoritic scholarship. All I did was
look at dictionary definitions and took from the
Merriam-Webster "first known use: 1834" given
by a synopsis of many dictionaries and encyclopedias:
http://www.memidex.com/bolide

Dictionary scholarship is no match for yours.
Obviously, the term bolide has a long historical
usage even if the IAU does not consider it a
definable term. Big bright fragmenters or
bursters would qualify as "bolides" and will
likely still be called that for some time to come..

Thanks for the information!

Sterling K. Webb