[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101-Bolide

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:43:34 +0100

Hi,

I understood bolide sofar & always simply as a bright meteor up to a
fireball.
And can't remember, whether I read it ever in a different use than that
(despite racing cars).

Meanwhile I was reading Pliny (AD 23-79), and Pliny says he has the term
"bolide" from Hipparchus (190-120 BC).

For looking up Aristotle (384-322 BC) I was too lazy, couldn't find a latin
translation on web and Greek I can't. Should be some terms in the 1st book
of his meteora or meteorologica, where he writes about meteors&thunderbolts.

Best!
Martin

Pliny, Natural History 2.25 (Bostock translation)

CHAP. 25.?EXAMPLES FROM HISTORY OF CELESTIAL PRODIGIES; FACES, LAMPADES, AND
BOLIDES.
The faces shine brilliantly, but they are never seen excepting when they are
falling one of these darted across the heavens, in the sight of all the
people, at noon-day, when Germanicus C?sar was exhibiting a show of
gladiators. There are two kinds of them; those which are called lampades and
those which are called BOLIDES, one of which latter was seen during the
troubles at Mutina. They differ from each other in this respect, that the
faces produce a long train of light, the fore-part only being on fire; while
the bolides, being entirely in a state of combustion, leave a still longer
track behind them.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----