[meteorite-list] Huge Fireball: Possible First Meteorite Fall of 2011

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:07:03 -0800

UPDATE: I've added another map to the mess. ;)

Don't really have time to do anything with this, those who can use it
here it is. Marc Fries' radar data is plotted on the map,
http://radarmeteorites.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/southern-ms-12-jan-11-0244-utc/
and I credit him for his work. Nice job! An interesting note is that I
conducted 2 phone interviews with two eye witnesses a day or so before
Marc posted his radar data.When I plotted their reports on the map, they
"roughly" pointed in the same general area as the radar return with
regard to their sighting direction and flight path of the fireball. The
witness North of Pickens AR reported massive fragmentation, and the
witness in MS stated they saw no fragmentation and that the fireball
appeared to fall all the way to the ground. Not sure if 20 miles would
make the difference between seeing the fragmentation or not, but the MS
witness was 241 miles from Marc's radar return, whereas, the Pickens AR
witness was 221 miles away. (this assuming the radar return is the
bolide event) It's possible that the small differentiation between the
distances from the fireball event and the curvature of the Earth allowed
the AR witness to see the fragmentation, whereas the MS witness was
unable to see it because their view was obscured by the horizon. A lot
of things need to be considered like the altitude, the timing of the
sighting, the height/altitude of each witness. Either way, it's
interesting.

Let me make this disclaimer. This is only a rough estimate based on
compiled information, sonic boon reports, fireball sighting reports,
radar, and phone interviews. Use this info at your own risk. Video is
basically useless, and I've not yet plotted ANY video on this map. I've
heard of some CNN video, and other video which actually shows the
fireball in the air, but have only seen one. Anyone wanting to help let
me know. I'll plot it when I get time.

Enjoy...

Happy Hunting!

Regards,