[meteorite-list] Huge Fireball: Possible First Meteorite Fall of 2011

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:07:22 EST

>>Now I have never
> seen a fire ball so I am not sure how they look in the sky
> and move, but for it to be heard in NC from some reports I
> have to assume the more in the eastern side of the sky when
> this event took place the other night? I hope in the next
> few days we can get some reports from people that heard the
> boom and state their location. All I have read in some
> blog posts is that they heard a boom, but they forgot to
> tell the time and their location. I wondering if a
> meteorite comes from this fireball, how far would the
> meteorite be from the boom of the fall?<<

I think some of the confusion might lie with the various times the sonic
booms occurred after the visual meteor event was over. A fireball I
witnessed in 1993 produced a sonic boom for me 2 minutes and 43 seconds after its
initial appearance. I'm sure the times would have varied even in minutes for
other witnesses at other locations. This might be the source of apparent
multiple meteors being reported.
GeoZay