[meteorite-list] Weston meteorite fall 1807 .... Silliman andWoodhouse, RIVALRY or BAD SCIENCE????

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:27:51 -0800 (PST)

Chris and Listers,

LOL .... Yes another book please :) I am having a great time learning more about the Weston fall and the roles that Silliman played and I think the lack of roles Woodhouse played with the Weston meteorite fall. But again I am not saying Woodhouse is a lesser scientist, only sticking with the facts that be said......

"Edgar Fahs Smith, praises Woodhouse?s efforts in his field, although he concedes that Woodhouse?s methods were faulty. Among his contemporaries Woodhouse?s reputation as a chemist and mineralogist was not high?. In January, 1808, with a manuscript account of the Weston meteorite, Silliman did not show it to Woodhouse, being convinced that Woodhouses?s analysis of the meteor, as yet unpublished was ?altogether loose and not to be depended on?.Woodhouse did not know how to analyze a stone, and that he had not a single sure test or agent of any kind to do it with?

Cited from Transactions of the American Philosophical Society 1969

Source:

http://books.google.com/books?id=BUsLAAAAIAAJ&lpg=PA285&dq=Philadelphia%20Medical%20Museum%2C%205%2C%202%20(1808)%20woodhouse&pg=PA285#v=onepage&q=Philadelphia%20Medical%20Museum,%205,%202%20(1808)%20woodhouse&f=false

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html

[meteorite-list] Weston meteorite fall 1807 .... Silliman andWoodhouse, RIVALRY or BAD SCIENCE????
Chris Spratt cspratt at islandnet.com
Tue Feb 22 19:43:02 EST 2011