[meteorite-list] Strange things found while hunting for meteorites : )

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:48:23 +0000

This wasn't on a meteorite hunt, it was while my husband and I were out playing paintball in an 'unimproved' section of Windward Oahu.? Renegade fields are not uncommon, sharing ground with hikers and pig hunters, and the players all parked their cars at the foot of some deeply eroded areas and hiked into the field, maybe a half mile.? No one had a 4x4 that day, but obviously people had managed to get Jeeps and other vehicles up the very poor tracks into the area.? While we were playing, several people decided to explore the farther ends of the field.? At the end of one of the Jeep trails, there was a collection of long-abandoned shacks, Quonset huts, and stripped cars, one of which was a brand new van from a music store.? It looked like someone had been using this area to dump stolen vehicles, after taking what they wanted.? We finished playing and called the police on the van; we had no idea how they had managed to wriggle that van up into that area.? Maybe pot farmers?? Aside from the van, nothing else in
 the area looked like it had been used for years.? It could have been someone's homestead, or even an abandoned WWII storage area.

Best!
Tracy Latimer