[meteorite-list] changed to: Trials and Tribulations We'll Be living With For a While

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:41:49 -0800 (PST)

A while back I asked about gem quality periodot so i could have a ring made from a stone from the heavens for my Angel. There is a market if done right. Unfortunately the color of the periodots or paladots women do not find attractive. I ended up getting her a almost flawless half carat champane diamond surounded by white saphires. The total cost having the ring made was less than $400. I sincerely believe that marketing some of the black to brown stones not considered gem quality but still beautiful if cut right would be more accepted as paladots. When you think of a meteorite most people think black and burned. So go with what people expect to see and you will have something. Plus all terestrial periodots are green to yellow. There would be no faking a black stone and it has no scientific value. There will be no market for a light colored periodot from a meteorite with so many gem quality periodot from other sources. I have some black periodots
 from Brenham meteorites and they look awesome when cut