[meteorite-list] A Survey for Collectors

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 22:06:41 -0500

Hi Jason,

Well said. I completely agree with the H5 from USA vs. H5 from NWA
valuation that you pointed out. Isn't it amazing how Anglo-centrism
worms it way into everything, including meteorites? I wonder if
collectors in Morocco pay more for Tamdakt than Ash Creek, because
it's worth more to them as a local meteorite? Or is that just an
American/European phenomenon?

One thing which is obvious to collectors of micromounts - the smaller
the specimen, the more per gram that it costs. Take a piece of "Old
Yeller" NWA, smash it with a hammer and sell each piece for $5.
You'll end up turning that specimen into a $100/g meteorite. Of
course, you'll have to make 100 sales to realize that money, but the
truth of it is there.

Best regards,

MikeG

--