[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Landowners

From: Thunder Stone <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:11:34 -0800

I think this will put a ?black eye? on meteorite hunters regardless of the turnout. I remember in West I talked to some landowners who let meteorite hunters on their property, and they told me that some of the hunters had stolen some of their finds and skipped out on paying, so they stopped allowing hunters back on their land. Because of the ?Meteorite Men? show, with its growing popularity, this could certainly have an impact on people watching in the future. I?ve always felt that the meteorite hunter?s number one oath is ?treat the landowners very special, because the meteorites are THEIRS.? And one bad apple? well, we all know what that can do.

As to the Meteoritic Peridot? I just don?t see the market; I guarantee that any rich celebrity with rather have an emerald instead. Also the ?melting? of Pallasites ? it?s your meteorite and you can do what you want, you can make spheres, use the iron to make coins: does not really bother me. In fact I think it would be really cool to make a stained glass window out of a Pallasite? now that would be really cool.

Remember... it's all in the marketing.

Greg S.