[meteorite-list] The Trials and Tribulations in Dealing with Landowners

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:41:36 -0500

Why don't we discuss the real issue with this thread? Is nobody else
offended by the idea of destroying meteorites for commercial gain?

I do realize that the scientific value of Brenham pallasites is
extremely low. Many hundreds of kg are held by museums, so chances are
that the destruction by dealers of a few hundred kg more to extract the
olivine will not result in irreversible harm to science.

But what if some cult placed a high value on ritually consuming
Martian/lunar meteorites or angrites, or CAIs, and the price for
powdered meteorites skyrocketed? Would it be ethical to destroy these
meteorites for profit? And, are such practices harmful, in the
long-run, to both science and the avocation of meteorite collecting?

A large part of the tension between the scientific and collector
communities, including the creation of much-reviled export and ownership
laws in some countries, arises from the perception that national
scientific treasures are being lost. This sort of practice by dealers
could make the situation so much worse.

Jeff