[meteorite-list] Surface Area or Weight

From: Richard Montgomery <rickmont_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:16:02 -0800

I'd love to chime in here.

For example, as NWA 801 is already in my collection the 5gr range, I just
purchased an ebay slice ~4cm across with multiple metal armored/rimmed
chondrules and a huge surface area/weight ratio (it has become the fifth
NWA801 in my collection, for the sole purpose of chosing later the one to
keep)...when I weighed it, I was a bit shocked at it's 0.5 gram
weight....but wait, there's more.

In my limited experience strictly as a collector, a larger
surface-area-to-weight ratio gives me the best x-section to view. Yet, it
restricts my ability to ever re-sell it by weight, since it would be
fabulously over-priced. So I guess it becomes an aesthetic thing. (can you
imagine $200/gr for 801??!)

I know that recently this has been discussed on the List ("not mentioning
weight, so how I pay without disclosing the denomination")...(Hi Luci)...I
digress, but still, it is an amazing preparation, and I am pleased to have
it.

The Kainsaz slice I also bought from this same entitiy is so thin that it is
transluscent....(I tried XPL, but no birefringence)....so for what it's
worth, this will remain a debate? I think when we buy by weight, somewhere
in the back of our heads $-resale-value comes into play. If that isn't a
concern, by all means, buy what you like by dimension. If analysis is in
play, well, I know you real scientists will have something to say.

Richard Montgomery
-Goldierocks-