[meteorite-list] Astromyxin - Star Jelley

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:32:41 -0600

Dear Doug, List,

The original discovery of this recent mess of star
jelly can be found at this blog:
http://helvellyn.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/star-jelly-by-ullswater/
and a followup here:
http://helvellyn.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/star-jelly-solve-the-mystery/

This is where the British press got onto the story
and there are links to the BBC and other coverage
of the story in the UK. There are finds in the same
district in 2009.

That great chronicler of mysteries, Charles Fort,
reports jelly masses going back centuries but
almost always reports them as being identified
with egg-masses or the like:
http://www.resologist.net/damn04.htm

"Star Jelly has been reported falling from the
sky as early as the 13th century; the name
actually being found in a dictionary from 1440.
Historical archives in Pennsylvania include
reports that go back as far as the 1600s..."
http://www.dystopiantimes.com/content/star-jelly
And please, let's not forget angel hair, rains
of frogs (and toads), fish, shrimp, and of course,
the Red Rain of India.

It's a frequent event; it wasn't hard to find TV News
reports:
http://www.wtae.com/r-video/29122861/detail.html
and even a "witnessed fall":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QVXLEnNTJQ

Despite what the Wikipedia says in its entry on
"Star Jelly," the National Geographic has never
"commissioned scientists" to identify it; the reference
is to one of NatGeo's fake science shows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oet-TDJWTo

Since samples are collected from exposed environments,
they are expectedly contaminated with a variety of
DNA's. Fungal growth is found in them but is not
the source. Here are some expert comments from
the North-of-England 2009 reports:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/articles/jelly/

Star Jelly?

Sterling K. Webb