[meteorite-list] Allende meteorite selling for around $40 a gram!!!

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:28:30 -0500

Hi Shawn and List,

The piece in the auction has King collection provenance, but that does
not explain the high closing price. I think this result may be an
anomaly and not indicative of a major shift in market prices.

Every now and then, these big auction houses will produce some unusual
results. On occasion, we will see valuable pieces sell for steep
discounts or fail to meet a reasonable reserve. In any case, the
marketplace as a whole rarely follows suit. If anything, eBay is a
more reliable yardstick for the market than Bonhams, and even that is
not definitive.

Consider this - the closing bid is very high, but the buyer also paid
a premium and shipping expenses. With these extra costs figured in,
the price is even more astronomical.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com