[meteorite-list] 25143 Itokawa and meteorites

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:20:47 -0400

Larry wrote:

"[possible that we] do not have any meteorite samples from Ceres as it
is not near any resonances that would transport pieces to
Earth-crossing orbits as we see for Vesta."

Hi Larry, - That sort of said, interestingly enough the planetoid Vesta
itself is further away from a strong 'resonance' than is the planet
Ceres!

Vesta - 2.36 (gap: 2.5, delta = 0.14 AU)
Ceres - 2.77 (gap: 2.82, delta = 0.05 AU)

Of course, as empty as the asteroid quarter may be, over time, impacts
have done a lot of our sample return dirty work ;-)

Kindest wishes
Doug

PS The question of whether we have any Cererian samples in our
collections is the most delightful can of worms for another thread !