[meteorite-list] More evidence of building blocks of DNA inmeteorites

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 17:38:34 -0500

Phil, Listees,

I hate the "Probability" argument.

The first fallacy of it is that everything has an equal chance
of combining with everything.

Nope.

Think about cosmology. A new universe, all energy, cools
and condenses into an incredible variety of particles, all with
different properties. The neutrinos? They get the heck out
of Dodge as soon as they form. The photons? They slam
about the mosh pit until all their energy is gone. We end
up with atoms, protons paired with electrons. Why don't
we have atoms made out of the hundreds of other particles?
Because those pairings don't work, can't last, or can't even
take place.

The same situation is true for the combination of molecular
odds'n'ends in an organic soup as it is for a soup of particles.
(Only particle soup is thinner and hotter.) There is no "equal
chance" of simple molecules, broken molecules, elements, and
such combining in equal shares with each other. Certain
combinations are heavily favored. Others just don't happen.
Like particle soup, there are likely certain energy requirements.

Some likely combos may start a quick dash down a chain of 5-6
likely combos only to end as a hard inert goop stuck on rocks
and to which nothing interesting will ever happen again, or end
as something so fragile it breaks apart again. Most combinations
go nowhere. Well, gee (you say), that's no way to get life!

But if you eliminate much of the field with each round of
combinations, you get down to the real candidates in very
short order. It goes much faster than American Idol. If you
build a quantum Big Bang fluctuation with every particle
possible as it cools, you're going to end up with a universe of
hydrogen atoms that rapidly condense by gravity into stars
and space, and hey! you're on your way.

The mathematical analogue of endless equal combinations
does not model reality in the slightest. It is one of the silliest
arguments of the won't-go-away class. Like the argument
that evolution gave me a nose so I could wear eyeglasses...

Build universes over and over again and you will end up with
the same dam thing. Why? Because the outcome is determined
by the properties of matter and its interactions --- it's BUILT-IN.
Is there any reason to believe the combinatorics of atoms that
end up on the planets that inevitably condense wherever possible
and are made of the same dam minerals over and over again,
dripping with the same dam solvent over and over again, won't
we have pretty much the same dam result over and over again?

INHERENCY.

Doesn't mean it always happens. It's too cold; it's too hot; it's
too wet; it's not wet enough; whine, whine, whine... Maybe
every big body has a deep biosphere of slow-metabolizing, slow-
reproducing cellular endolithic life that is just waiting for the
neighborhood to improve before they get up on their hind legs
and get going. I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I say the unusual habits of carbon-based molecules (writing
sonnets, flying to the Moon) arise out of their basic physical
properties, fundamental properties like the structure of carbon's
electron states and their characteristic energies as inevitably
as a universe of hydrogen stars and space arise out of a Big
Bang.

The Universe is like some Politics -- The Fix Is In.

Sterling K. Webb