[meteorite-list] Is Pena Blanca Springs meteorite a hammer stone?????

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

Shawn,

what I got from the discussion about hammers on this list several months ago, since there is no 'official' term or definition, a hammer can be nearly anything you want it to be.

Basically a hammer is a meteorite that strikes a man-made object. But then again, only certain man-made objects, depending on who you are and how you want ot use the term.

A dirt road? Man-made, but most here reject that as a man-made object for this purpose. Same goes for if it lands in a field of grain or even just a pasture that was cleared from woodland. Obviously all these are man made objects, but also rejected for this purpose... By some at least.

The pond/swimming pool/reservoir, whatever you want to call it is by definition a man made object, so yes PBS can be rightly called a hammer if you wish. Just don't expect anyone, other than me to agree with you.

BTW, I'm not intending to be a grenade thrower here, just spouting my own personal opinion.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography