[meteorite-list] Meteorite Media

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 23:59:30 +0200

Hi Richard,

the main problem with such articles isn't how many, but who is reading them.

They carry the brand names: NYT and BBC.

Any journalist, if he has to deliver a piece about meteorites and is doing
his web-research will come across these articles first - plus about that
Schmitt&Barristers paper, with the veneer of a scientific article, but
nevertheless giving wrong legal information about the UNESCO convention, as
well as about Switzerland, as well as about New Zealand
(and the rest I didn't check, because if of 12 central topics already 3 are
wrong - and if you take e.g. the there mentioned law of New Zealand - and it
hasn't change since - and where it takes 10 minutes to see, that Schmitt &
Barristers evidently haven't read the law at all - then it's not worth to
check the rest as the paper doesn't fulfill the requirements of a scientific
article).

Of course - and it's not his fault - he will rely in the probity of these
articles, noone would expect, that such renown media would publish such a
unproved bullshit.

Hence we will have in future a series of articles singing from the same hymn
sheet.

One saw it with the BBC-Smith article in combination with another crude
BBC-article telling fantastic fairytales about meteorites laying between
chickens and vegetables on the farmer's markets in the towns of Mauretania.

These articles are transported even down into the blogs and fora in Africa.

They are the reason, why we all have to bear to be called criminals,
looters, drug dealers...

But much worse, in the end articles like these are the reason, for laws
being created.
In the end these articles are responsible for less meteorites being found,
sold, ending in the hand of science.

And you can tell me what you want, I have the impression, that this
devastating effect is welcomed by several of these people interviewed, who
afterwards claim to have been misunderstood.

Note how fast that kind of people is always screaming in the media:
Scandal!! Crime!! Harm!!!!

And how few scientist instead applaud or demonstrate respect for the great
and valuable performance of the private sector.

Thereabout you hear always almost nothing.

Skol
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----