[meteorite-list] Meteorite Media

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 00:54:31 +0200

> A lot of energy has been spent of this list and elsewhere in the past
> day or two about the sham article...
>
> I'd be curious to know how many people actually saw or read the article.
> Of course that is unknowable. I would imagine that the total number
> will be vastly less that the numbers watching a highly popular TV
> program about a pair of meteorite hunters.

I am inclined to support Richard?s view here. Who cares for the NYT views in the end, who cares for that bad article? Those who know by their own good personal experience how things are in the meteorite world will be able to put it in the right perspective for themselves, most of those who don?t know will have read it, and I bet many if not most of them have forgotten it in the same second, especially those readers that are susceptible to sensational journalism only, who may be the main targets for those kind of newspapers these days, even the NYT as it seems...

Can?t we come down to an even-tempered, unhurried, calm and serene look at the whole thing? I suspect the people who promote the new laws and restrictions won?t do it just by virtue of this little bad NYT article, they do it for other reasons, may be even for personal reasons. You can count them, they are surely not the majority. And if they do it, they don?t need the NYT or the BBC, or the "impact factor" via research of those examples of bad journalism for their bad reasoning. At best it only has a positive side-effect for them. But I believe the big body of all those casual readers or subscribers who are not informed won?t care at all or very little, and the others have a brain to use it in a good sense. Well, at least I hope so! :-)

We have to look for different means to protest. Well, just a thought in all this mess...

Alex
Berlin/Germany