[meteorite-list] Fwd: BS In The NYT: Black Market Trinkets From Space

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:37:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Sonny - could you do me a favor and post this to the meteorite
list? ?I keep trying but it ain't showin' up.

Cheers,
Marc

---
Howdy all
	I can't exactly label myself "esteemed" but I'll say a few words...
?The short version is, I have a lot more respect for Ralph Harvey than
I do for the NYT. His quote in that article looks like the sort of
thing that gets cherry-picked for effect. Yes, there are meteorites
that are bought and sold illegally, and that's bad. There are also a
hell of a lot of meteorites in research collections that would be
rusting away in a desert somewhere if it weren't for collectors. That's
good. I have no doubt that Ralph is fully aware of both sides of the
argument, and I highly doubt that he intended to label all meteorite
collection everywhere as a flaming travesty against all of humanity,
the majority of puppies, and most unicorns everywhere.?
	Here's another recent article that makes a point pertinent to this
discussion?(before it loses track and goes Fox-bashing), namely that
science reporting has taken a sharp decrease in quality lately as the
major media outlets have done away with dedicated science writers:?
http://tinyurl.com/3llqgay
?? ? ? ?Recent stories on "life" in CI meteorites, "natural atomic bomb
blasts" on Mars, and now this story are symptoms of a bigger problem,
namely the lack of well-informed treatment of science issues by the
major media outlets. Science stories are increasingly handled by
writers who are looking for high-impact, wow-factor "news" items as
opposed to lower-key but better-informed articles by science journalism
professionals. I can say from my own experience that it is rather
frustrating to attend conferences where I see all manner of well
thought-out, interesting research presented, and then to turn around
and see little more than sensationalistic crap wind up front and center
in the major media. That's not good for anyone - the really interesting
stuff never reaches a wider audience, and the public winds up thinking
that scientists waste their time and tax dollars on embarrassing
nonsense like the examples I stated above. I think that's the effect
we're seeing in this NYT article at least in part, and while it is
unfortunate it doesn't surprise me much.
Cheers,
Marc Fries