[meteorite-list] Tunguska Meteorites - Real or Not?

From: Ed Deckert <edeckert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:21:45 -0400

Hello listees,

I attended a fundraising event and there was a small, iron meteorite
specimen that had been made into a pendant. The person who donated this
item announced that it was a meteorite specimen that was recovered from the
Tunguska event.

I looked at the item, and it looked VERY much like Sikhote-Alin. It was
hard to tell if it was a small individual, or shrapnel that had been tumbled
to smooth it out.

She was very insulted when I suggested this was likely a piece of
Sikhote-Alin. She is Russian, and she purchased it from a Russian
gentleman. That was good enough for her.

Am I wrong? Have there been iron meteorites resembling Sikhote-Alin
collected from Tunguska? Or, was she and/or her friend sold a bill of
goods?

Thanks,
Ed