[meteorite-list] New Park Forest House Smasher

From: Bernd V. Pauli <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 22:54:08 +0000

Hello Carl, Bill, and List,

"it would be worth less per gram the larger the size though"

I beg to differ ... at least in this specific case!

Just try to find any Park Forest meteorites for sale right now (of course, I don't
know if there are any private or anonymous sellers) from our well-known, reliable
sources, it's nearly impossible to find any offered online.

The "unreported" new house smasher is a different affair. It has a weird smell to it.
Such a hefty specimen would probably have made it into the media a long time ago
already.

But: a typical Park Forest individual will probably have certain tell-tale characteristics
that "Park Forest Experts" like Steve Witt, John Sinclair, Paul Sipiera, Steve Arnold,
Geoff Notkin et al. will readily recognize!

Around "2 or 3 pounds" sounds like that could be the 1006 gr Kolkebeck specimen (?)
which landed in the rain gutter (See: Meteorite, Aug 2003,Vol. 9, No.3, pp. 08-14).

Best wishes,

Bernd