[meteorite-list] Meteorites most resistant to oxidation?

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 22:36:27 -0400

Hi Melanie and List,

One thing to keep in mind about meteorites and oxidation/stability is
the processing.

Any meteorite can be made unstable by contamination. For example,
cutting a meteorite with tap water is asking for trouble. The
chlorine in the tap water will contaminate the specimen and guarantee
a future of problems and a ruined specimen. If water is used as a saw
coolant, it should be distilled water only.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a sick/rusting meteorite is not
a lost cause - it can be decontaminated using a variety of methods
that have been discussed on this list previously. Some methods work
better/quicker/cheaper than others and opinions vary on what method is
best. One thing is for certain - merely cleaning the outer surface of
a sick meteorite will not cure the problem. Sanding, wiping with
petroleum products, baking in an oven, etc, will only produce
temporary results.

The best way to ensure a stable specimen is to keep it free of
contamination in the first place. When purchasing specimens with a
reputation for rusting, ask the dealer/seller how the meteorite was
processed. Was tap water during cutting or polishing? If chlorinated
water was used, then politely pass on that specimen.

I have 4 slices of Brenham sitting in my cabinet right now, all of
them are completely stable and rust-free, even down here in humid
Florida. Using dessicants, my cabinet's ambient humidity level hovers
between 30-40% (which is not as dry as I would like, but this is
Florida afterall), and they have shown no sign of rusting over several
months. They are absolutely stable and will hold up just as well as
any pallasite. This is because they were thoroughly decontaminated by
Pat Mulvany.

A few years ago, I bought a slice of etched Brenham from Robert Ward.
I owned it and displayed it in southern Louisiana and Florida for
almost 3 years and it never rusted. Whoever did the processing on
that slice knew what they were doing.

So, part of the rust equation is the meteorite itself, but an equally
important part is the processing and possible contamination.

Melanie - your sick Brenham that is losing olivines can be saved, but
nothing short of total decontamination will preserve it in the long
term.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com