[meteorite-list] Meteorites in Maine Web Page (Maine Geological Survey)

From: Paul H. <oxytropidoceras_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:00:20 -0500

The web page that the Maine Geological Survey has on Maine
meteorites is "Meteorites in Maine: Is the sky falling???" at:
http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/minerals/sites/mar99.htm

This web page states:

"Though many meteorites probably have landed in Maine, only 5
have been found and authenticated and described in the scientific
literature, and portions of each are preserved in museum collections."

Nowhere in this web page is there any mention of meteorites
being found by lobstermen as described in previous posts,
which started with:

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2010-September/069269.html

I am a little skeptical of such finds without seeing some documentation
because last year, a person call me and another geologist to tell us
that he had hauled up a 3-foot in diameter "meteorite" from the
bottom of the the Gulf of Mexico off of Terrebonne Island, Terrebonne
Parish, Louisiana while fishing. Anyway he brought over to my
office in the back of his minivan. It turned out to be a well rounded
boulder of granite gneiss. I still wonder how a 3-foot in diameter
nicely rounded boulder of granite gneiss ended up on the bottom
of the Gulf of Mexico.

Best wishes,

Paul