[meteorite-list] pairing and collecting

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:24:03 -0400

David,
You make some very interesting and thought provoking points here.
I'm sure I will be pondering this for some time but what immediately hit home was your point about NWA 5400 and how it may be an Earthite.
As I have followed meteoritic's for the past 20 years in a very novice capacity. The one thing I've noticed is it's study has had an evolution of it's own.
By that I mean it started out rather simple by type. Then the types grew. By now there are a bunch of different types. Almahata Sitta itself has taught us a bunch and really changed my thinking especially as it relates to pairing in that pairing is very odd. Nothing matches and yet they must be paired because they fell together.
But NWA 5400 seems to be a brachinite with Earths O isotopes. It seems like lately these O isotopes have taken over in terms of Categorizing these little aliens. The part that makes this confusing is it seems that many types of meteorites are turning out to have the Earths O isotopes. The Moon, NWA 5400 and Aubrites just to name a few. So how then will this ever sort out?
What makes NWA 5400 more of an Earthite than an aubrite?
Additionally, I understand that this may be due to a zoning of some kind whereby anything that formed within a certain zone is going to have the same O isotopes as Earth.
This I ask because Aubrites seem to be more like Earth than the Brachinite -like class of NWA 5400.
The metal alone found within NWA 5400 seems to rule Earth out as it's possible origin? And unless the Earth was hit by a body that also had Earth's same O isotopes , wouldn't the O isotopes within NWA 5400 be different that Earths? I mean it should have a mixture of Earth and the body that hit it as an end result.? This too makes it very hard to understand why these assertions are made.
As was pointed out earlier so far there are only two abstracts about NWA 5400 . If you don't mind my asking, What are your thoughts on this?
And to throw one more question in there.
I have continually made the point that NWA 5400 has pairings based on the fact that Mbarak had a box full of the same rocks. It seems to me it would be very difficult to believe that two brachinite like meteorites would have been found and were being sold but were from two different falls.
Common sense tells me that these have got to be the same. Why would this fall be any different than any other? Like rocks fall together in a fall.
Thank you.
Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza