[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:19:03 -0700 (PDT)

>> the difference between NWAs and all the other falls is that NWA nobody knows where the strewn fields are.

Same can be said for many US falls when strewnfields are likened to gold claims and the data is kept secret.
The strewnfield for Whetstone is still not known publicly or even listed in the metbul. You may have 5-10 people in a small collective who know and that is it.

Then take other finds where people intentionally provide wrong co ordinates to keep others from finding material (as pointed out recently on here)

The world of meteorites is very secretive and the major focus for many is purely the money to be made.

Its not about TKW, its not about actual rarity. Hell, Whetstone is the most common type of meteorite and yet people are asking for more per gram then an angrite sells for currently!

At the end of the day, meteorites and values are more based on who has the material, who has access to the material and strewnfield and how much can be made off it.

Almahatta Sitta is another great example. One dealer has it and can set the price to what they wish. When asked, they would not even give a discount for a state college to obtain a sample for study... If thats not about the money and not the science, I dont know a better example to offer.

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites