[meteorite-list] NWA 6292 (BRA) IS paired to NWA 5400 !

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:17:24 +0200

But, Shawn, Count, all..

with NWA you get material, which you couldn't afford, if you'd have to buy
it in form of historics,
material, where not sufficient quantities for all, collectors&scientists,
are available among the historics,
you get NEW material and sometimes material not to be found among historics

and you get it at an all-time-in-history-rock-bottom-low-price.
(See my boringly lengthy posting from yesterday on the IMCA-list)

And I don't know, always this volatileness...

I mean for most collectors, meteorites are more than only an episode of two
or three years,
NWA we have for only 10 years now,
all in all I don't have the impression that a price decline of NWAs
happened, to me it seems rather, that the recent years they're getting -
some slowly, some faster - more expensive.

And if you think on the somewhat longer run, mid-term,
I think, then it won't carry weight, whether today a NWA costs a couple of
dollars more or less.

Btw. meteorites are much more than curios or collectibles,
they are objects of current cutting-edge research.

Other than with fine art, antiques, coins, books, baseball cards ect. that
field isn't so concludingly closed in that respect.

And really..., it is certainly not the business of the research institutes
and universities,
to serve as certifiers and consultants for the valuation of meteorites as
commercial collectibles.
They do research and science.

And that is one point, which makes meteorite collecting so fascinating, that
you can participate to a certain degree in the red-hot space research!

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----