[meteorite-list] Who owns the meteorite?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:32:54 -0700 (PDT)

Mike G Wrote:
If profit is the focus of our activities then the government is always going to
come knocking with it's hand out and the regulation pen in the other hand.

I could not agree more. This is one of the reasons that I am so vocal about all
of the media attaching seriously overinflated price tags to every meteorite
instead of balancing the subject with other more important attributes. The
price doesn't need to be mentioned at all unless unwanted attention is the
desired result. A meteorite can carry its own weight without attaching a
ridiculously high price tag to it in public. Unfortunately, putting up a price
tag and playing the sound of the cash register drawer opening is a very cheap
yet effective way to improve viewership, especially in an economic downturn. In
my opinion, it is very irresponsible but may be good for ratings, just not the
hobby.

You notice that professionally done series like Chasing Mummies doesn't attach
price tags to anything found. They do not need too. The treasure hunt, history
and culture are all that is needed to keep an audience interested. They also
inform the viewer of the laws concerning the antiquities so that a free-for-all
doesn't break out.

Lately, most of the people coming forward with suspected meteorites seem to be
only attracted the monetary aspect of it, thinking they are lying everywhere
like an Easter Egg hunt, $$$$ ready for the picking.

Happy Hunting while you still can,

Adam