[meteorite-list] Who owns the meteorite?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:06:17 -0400

Hi Folks,

Here is a problem we face in a nation like America. On the one hand,
we like to keep any government regulation to a minimum, but on the
other hand, we often defer to (or call out for) government
clarification (regulation) when it comes to private matters.

We wouldn't be seeing a "need" or "case" for regulation if people on
all sides of the equation would behave like rational human beings.
But we have people who driven by profit and people who are driven by
ego, and this occurs on both the public and private side of the issue.
 This leads to unnecessary conflicts over catalyst events that should
never have taken place to start with.

Case in point, access to the Bar-T-Bar Ranch land around Meteor
Crater. We wouldn't see the current hard-line stance against
prospectors if those same prospectors had not left cattle gates wide
open, deep holes unfilled, and trash on the land they were searching.
And if we didn't have big egos disregarding logic, then we wouldn't
see the current hard-line stance against private involvement by
institutions and museums. Both sides, private and public, are giving
the opposing side ammunition to fight with, when it reality, there
should be no conflict in the first place.

It's like how we hate getting pulled over for a ticket for speeding
because it's necessary to keep the highways safe from people who might
do more than our own self-rationalized speeding. The same people who
curse the cop who writes the ticket, will call that same cop in a
hurry if an armed gang is invading their home. We don't want the
government, yet we can't seem to get along with each other without it.

The best thing we could do, as private individuals, to prevent further
regulation of meteorites, is to act like professionals, conduct
ourselves as good honest people, and be generous with our finds to
science and outreach. If profit is the focus of our activities then
the government is always going to come knocking with it's hand out and
the regulation pen in the other hand.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - no government or entity created in modern human history "owns" a
meteorite. It's a 4+ billion year old relic of creation itself. Any
where it decides to drop in is decided by luck and chance, and anyone
who claims ownership of it is merely in denial over the fact that they
are a temporary caretaker at best.

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com