[meteorite-list] Who owns the meteorite?

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:43:07 -0700

I would agree 100% with the Count on this one!

I'm sick and tired of listening to the rhetoric of the naysaying jerks
and lazy brained elitists who don't recover meteorites or would make
them off-limits to everyone but themselves. The problem with these
idiots are that they are selfish egotists who want to hoard the
meteorites for museums, and MISLEAD the public into believing that's the
way it should be by claiming that meteorite hunters are bad, and that
they are "preserving history and culture". Their propaganda is that
"meteorite hunters are damaging the science. Let us protect that
science." Yet they forget that if it weren't for professional private
sector meteorite hunters their precious collections wouldn't exist! More
than HALF of their "fresh" meteorites were most likely recovered by
professional private sector meteorite hunters who got there before any
rain or weathering could take place.

Their argument is a crock! and everyone knows it, but people are afraid
to ruffle feathers, make waves, or step on toes. "Shhhhhh..." people
say, "...it'll go away if we don't say anything..."

Yeah, our "rights" will go away if we don't do something together, as a
group of responsible and professional meteorite hunters, scientists,
enthusiasts, collectors, and hobbyists.

The propaganda argument is a bogus BS misleading attempt to deflect and
misinform the public of what professional meteorite hunters actually do,
and completely ignores the fact that most of the meteorites that make up
institution collections today are there BECAUSE professional meteorite
hunters made them available!

The same people that profess Nininger was a great man, also love to surf
on his legendary and groundbreaking science. They attach themselves to
Nininger like leeches, and say "look at us" we love Nininger. Yet if
they lived back in the days of Nininger, they might have condemned him
just as they seem to be condemning modern day meteorite hunters now.
Hypocrites all! These are most probably the same people that would have
everything governed "by the state" and not "by the people, for the
people". I thought this was America.

There is no meteorite law. There's only a misinterpretation of the Act
that the BLM hangs it hat on.
There is no language anywhere (that I can find) in all the statutes,
regulations, and law that states the Smithsonian is entitled to
meteorites found on federal land. (it's only in on BLM sites and
publications the BLM produces)

I stated a LONG time ago that there was a group that could be formed
very easily that would gather together the public, scientists and the
professional meteorite hunters in a unified association that could very
well protect the rights we know are granted us as American citizens.

There is a happy medium agreement that can be made that will benefit
both public science, and the private sector. SHARE! That's all that
needs to be done. Share with the people, and do it for the people. Share
with scientists, share with hunters, share with the public, educate and
inform!

We either do it or we don't... Don't whine, bitch or moan about it later
when we can't hunt if we don't do something about it now.

Unless we come together I'm afraid our laws might go the way of other
countries who's laws restrict the recovery of meteorites, and that my
friends will stifle the science we love so...

Regards,
Eric