[meteorite-list] Fireball event over Oregon and Washington

From: Edwin Thompson <etmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:23:22 +0000

At 6:00 a.m., yesterday, Tuesday September 21st, fishermen along the Deschutes river near the Columbia river witness a large fireball travelling from the South to the North. It broke into multiple pieces with numerous bursts and disruptions. They saw glowing pieces moving beyond the fireballs. The light from the fireball cast shadows and illuminated the ground as dawn was approaching. Several photographs were taken of the fireball and the con trail that remained in the sky after the event. Bob Toman a river guide sitting in his jet sled at the mouth of the Deschutes where it flows into the Columbia river said that it was close to dark there on the river but the con trail was illuminated by the rising sunlight. I am hoping to get him to email pictures to me later today. Dick Pugh here in Portland would like to speak with Rob Matson and Marc Fries. Could you guys please email your phone numbers to me.

Thanks very much, E.T.