[meteorite-list] FW: Rock identification??

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:51:05 +0100

Hi,

I was recently sent a rock, the accompanying story was that it landed near someone with high velocity and was warm/hot to the touch. (Normally this story rings alarm bells as meteorites are generally not known to be warm especially small ones), however upon looking at the rock, it appears to have chondrules (or chondrule like objects), but has no fusion crust.

?Its about 27mm x 19mm, and is very slightly attracted to a strong magnet, (enough for the rock to move when a magnet is put next to it.

I can't explain what i'm seeing, these chondrule like features are near perfect spherules!, ?however I can't see any metal grains!

Under mag there are numerous spherules, and other unidentifiable ?inclusions, the matrix is a grey to light beige colour.

Anyone care to take a stab at what this is?

Pics at :? http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/meteoritemark/

(Click the pics for a bigger view)

Mark

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us. Email info at ssl.gb.com. You should not copy or use this email or attachment(s) for any purpose nor disclose their contents to any other person.

GENERAL STATEMENT:

Southern Scientific Ltd's computer systems may be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

Registered address Rectory Farm Rd, Sompting, Lancing, W Sussex BN15 0DP. Company No 1800317