[meteorite-list] Rust Question about my stone meteorite.

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:14:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,

I have a question about rust and how to clean it off your L6 meteorite. Now can you just soak the meteorite in a 99% alcohol bath for a couple days and the rust on the surface will some what come off the surface or are there other steps?

The the size of the L6 fragment is 3.45g, so I dont have much room to work with. I used a sand/finger nail file and sanded the surface, but not sure if that made a difference and it seems that the L6 meteorite surface is stronger than the sand paper on the finger nail file.

If any Listers have some suggestions let me know please :)

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340