[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Shape and Entry Angle

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:45:18 -0700 (PDT)

To produce an elongated crater you need a very low angle impact, on the order of only a few degrees at most.

Here's a quick, but more detailed answer. Additional searches will allow reader to find explanations with as much detail (and math) as they would like.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-are-impact-craters-al

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography