[meteorite-list] Nemesis

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 14:31:33 -0700

Hi Rob, Great answer to a question I had about it. How does one
determine the cycle of a star?

Also, if the Nemesis companion star does not exist for our Sun, are
there any other theories or explanations of comets and how their orbits
are perturbed into our system? What causes these bodies from the Oort
cloud to be pulled into our solar system if not by a large mass such as
another star? Do they simply bump into one another as is evidenced by
Asteroid P/2010 A2
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/asteroid-20100202.html

In my understanding of comets they are originally stony/icy bodies that
dwell originate from within the Kuiper Belt and Oort cloud which
surrounds our solar system. We just don't call them comets until they
come into our system of course and their "tails" are formed and become
visible to us. The IAU defines them as a "Small Solar System body"
according to Wikipedia.

Question... Are asteroids (within the asteroid belt) dead comets? Or
just simply debris left over from the formation of the solar system from
the protoplanetary disk?

There was an article in the March 2010 issue of Sky & Telescope titled
"What else is out there?" by David Jewitt (Professor of Planetary
Science at the UCLA) that makes a brief mention of Nemisis.
http://www2.ess.ucla.edu/~jewitt/papers/2010/J10b.pdf but also explains
the likelihood of seeing the brown dwarf at such vast distances. It also
mentions WISE. To see a brown dwarf star is very difficult optically,
but it would be much brighter in the infrared spectrum and easier to
see. Perhaps WISE will find the companion star if in fact it exists?

The thought experiment of visualizing Earth at KBO distances and beyond
is thought provoking and puts things into a very intriguing perspective.

I find this extremely fascinating!

Regards,
Eric