[meteorite-list] Nemesis

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 19:23:07 -0500

Hi, Rob, Steve, List,

> In other words, the orbit would not be stable...

    The originator of the Nemesis hypothesis says exactly
the same thing: not stable. What Richard Muller has
proposed is that our Sun has a small stellar companion
that becomes more eccentric with each of the many local
perturbations by passing stars through the life of the
solar system.
http://muller.lbl.gov/pages/lbl-nem.htm

    The orbit gets "longer" and the timing of passages
through Oortville varies as the aeons pass. (THAT'S
a clever touch.) That's why the periodicity varies the way
that it does. In the early days of the solar system, the
passages did not "dig into" the Oort Cloud, but as the
orbit elongates, the passages get "deeper" and the
disturbances of objects greater and change frequency.

    The picture it suggests to me is that Life was content
to spend its days at the beach of shallow warm tropical
seas, reading the latest best-seller, for billions of slowly
evolving years, until things got nasty enough to stimulate
some genetic response to the increasing upset, forcing a
complexity to arise.

    As it happens, the solar system impact rate has shot
back up over the last 400 to 600 million years to early-days
rates, another "fit," or circumstantial evidence, take your pick:
http://muller.lbl.gov/papers/Lunar_impacts_Nemesis.pdf

    So, the "non-stability" of the orbit is part and parcel
of the theory. If the Boogie Man Star is out there, WISE
should spot it. But it's going to take a long time to process
all that data and then acquire parallax data on all the
candidates.

    Even then, if the current orbital motion is opposite to the
direction of parallax shift, no accurate estimate of distance
will be calculated right now. It could take a few years to get
it right.

    Nemesises can be tricky.

Sterling K. Webb