[meteorite-list] NWA meteorites, TO BE OR NOT TO BE?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:18:29 +0200

Hi Shawn,

Am in a hurry,

Only some quick points..

>I wonder why some institutions don't except NWA meteorites anymore to be
analyzed?

No, I never heard of a classifying lab, which refused to analyze a
meteorite, because it was an NWA.

It happens, that weathered chondrites, hence the bulk of meteorites from
Sahara, aren't accepted.
But only, because the labs are completely overloaded with meteorites waiting
to be classified.

You must see, that before the hot desert rush, aside Antarctica, all labs
together around the world had to classify per year not more than 30-50 new
finds or so.
Nowadays a single meteoriticist, if he's very active, classifies alone up to
200 stones a year.
And if one would want to classify all NWAs, hence also the bulk of ordinary
chondrites, one would have to make many thousands per year.
Thus, there are not enough free capacities. That's the only reason.

That then the researchers rather like to analyze the scientifically more
thrilling types, the rare ones and the exotics, is understandable, cause
they are more interesting and the chance to recover something unusual or
even new is much higher, than to work on the 3000th H5, W3s and 2000th
L6,W4s - and the ordinary chondrites all in all are meanwhile of course well
researched, simply because they were all the centuries the most predominant
group of finds.

And finally a classification costs money. Thin sections cost 100$, a trained
scientist to do the analyses let's say 100$/hour, the equipment isn't that
cheap, a microprobe for instance costs 1-2 million $, the measuring hour
200$, if used....
So it's reasonable to give the preference to the more rare types, if the
resources are limited.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----