[meteorite-list] I have a problem with some rusting meteorites

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:07:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Jim and Listers,

That sounds like a great way to preserve rusters. I am wondering, do you have before and after images of the Admire pallasite?

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystorehttp://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html

Hi Tim and list,?

Here is what I do to stop rust on my Irons and pallasites.?

First remove any surface rust by sanding, buffing or with BKF (barkeepers?

friend).?

Second, soak the meteorite in "Kano Kroil" penetrating oil for at least 8?
hours. I use this product in my manufacturing business and it has?
prevented?
rusting of metal parts that I keep in cold storage for years. Here's a?
link to there site:?_http://www.kanolabs.com/_?
(_http://www.kanolabs.com/_?(http://www.kanolabs.com/) )?

Third, dry the piece with a cloth. The oil tends to bleed out of?
pallasites for days because of all there crevices.?

Fourth, I apply a coat of automotive paste wax. I prefer a brand called?
"Mothers" but I believe any quality brand would work just as well.?

Lastly, I only openly display my etched irons and pallasites during the?
dry winter months. I live in northern Illinois and the summer humidity?
can?
get high. In summer I store these in plastic bags with desiccant and also?
use a?
few mini dehumidifiers.?
_http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Model-365-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0028M3YU6/r
ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268267140&sr=8-?
3_?
(_http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Model-365-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0028M3YU6/
ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268267140&sr=8-3_?
(http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Model-365-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0028M3YU6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=?
home-garden&qid=1268267140&sr=8-3) )?

I treated my 248 gram Admire over a year ago and it has been rust free?
ever since.?

Cheers,?
Jim K?