[meteorite-list] Double-Blind Experiments Testing Dowsing

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:54:28 -0700

To nudge the dying horse...
Thank you, Paul, for posting such comprehensive studies.
Perhaps the others who stubbornly insist on believing in pseudoscience
will slowly realize that their claims are based on ignorance, and not
true "open-mindedness." While innovation in both invention and idea
has always relied on the willingness of people to change their
opinions, one should remember that whenever major changes to our way
of thinking about the world have been introduced, they have almost
always encountered opposition from the pseudo-scientific crowd. I see
this as a continuation of that theme: people holding on to dogma
because they want to. Which means that you're never going to change
their minds, no matter how complete the evidence against it.
Oddly enough, this came up today! xkcd's a popular comic with the
more scientifically minded collegiate crowd - **make sure to let your
cursor rest over the image to see the commentary - it can oftentimes
be funnier than the comic itself.

http://xkcd.com/808/

I don't know what the odds were of that, but it sure was a pleasant surprise..
Regards,
Jason