[meteorite-list] Could we get back to the science of meteorites, please ?

From: DEBORAH ANNE K. MARTIN <dak_mar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:07:21 +0000

Hello all,

I usually stay away from these protracted discussions and am quite happy to lurk on the list. A lot of good, qualified people discussing a topic I truly enjoy: meteorites.

Now, I am not interested in sparring with anyone. I just published an article in the Montreal Gazette debunking UFOs; you could substitute UFOS for anything else in the ever widening field of pseudoscience and my article would remain essentially the same. So anyone eager for my views can readily look the article up.

However, my computer has recently been invaded by an avalanche of emails from this list that has *nothing* to do with meteorites or science. The basic problem is that pseudoscience is like a religion; no amount of science will ever convince its proponents. So I usually don't bother; ignorance is bliss, as they say. So those who believe in dowsing, divining rods and whatever other contraption, feel free to search with them. Think you can find meteorites, gold, diamonds, water, Jimmy Hoffa with a stick ? Go for it ! That is your business; I'm just not interested.

So, could we get back to the science of meteorites, please ?

Cheers

Andre