[meteorite-list] OT: Einstein on dowsing

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:44:53 -0400

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:28:13 -0700, you wrote:

>When people say they believe in dowsing, what they are really
>saying is that they believe in a human sixth sense -- for instance,
>the ability to detect minute fluctuations in electromagnetic
>fields.

An interesting side note is that recent studies indicate that at least some bird
species SEE magnetic fields. So not a 6th sense, but an augmentation of vision.
So unless dowsers are claiming that they literally see magnetic field
distortions, I think they'll need to drop the "bird navigation" analogy.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2010/07/08/robins-can-literally-see-magnetic-fields-but-only-if-their-vision-is-sharp/

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/oct/birds-navigate-using-magnetic-compass-vision