[meteorite-list] vaca muerta euc- what is it?

From: mckinney trammell <bigpineartifacts_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 06:58:43 -0700 (PDT)

thanks- will save this info.

----- Original Message ----
From: al mitt <almitt at kconline.com>
To: mckinney trammell <bigpineartifacts at yahoo.com>;
meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Sent: Sat, October 16, 2010 9:55:05 AM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] vaca muerta euc- what is it?

Hi Mckinney,

It's been suggested that mesosiderites are the result of a collision of a parent
body containing eucrite material and core material. The result is a melting of
the material and forming the nearly equal parts of metal to silicate. There is a
lot that is not understood yet about this class, but it is thought it could have
impacted when the core of a asteroid was still molten with material from the
eucrite parent body.

Because of this it is possible that some of the material was melted (as in your
Vaca sample) into a glassy material. I believe there is an absence of olivine in
mesosiderites.

McSween book is a good source for chemical makeup of various types of
meteorites.

--AL Mitterling

----- Original Message ----- From: "mckinney trammell"
<bigpineartifacts at yahoo.com>