[meteorite-list] Clay meteorites?

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:40:08 -0400

Bob,
This is a great question.
I too would love to hear from a meteoriticist about this.
I am quite sure that Dr. Campins is an amazing Astronomy professor but does he also study rocks FROM space?
Darren pointed out many links to Carbonaceous meteorites that clearly contain clay but again I ask. Do astronomy experts converse with Meteorite experts? Do they agree or disagree on things?
I have been showing my finds to Meteoriticists for 21 years and hearing the word "mud stone" has become as dreaded a word as "quartz".
As the rock is automatically disqualified as a possible meteorite if it contains either of these minerals.
How does a new study like this relate to the way Meteorite experts may now look at "mud stones" ?
Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax