[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunting (ANYWHERE)

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:38:36 -0700

Meteorite Hunting "Anywhere"

I've been promoting meteorite hunting with a ferver and passion which I
cannot express the importance and feeling of in words. People need to
realize that most hunters are respectful of and follow a certain code of
ethics and etiquette when hunting meteorites. Here is a list of "Metal
Detecting Code of Ethics" that have been in use in the metal detecting
world for some time. I found this list here:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=639

Do not Kill the hobby these are, Good Rules to Follow When Detecting

- Never trespass. Always get permission to traverse private or
restricted lands.
- Always respect private property and do no metal detecting without the
owner's permission.
- Before searching public sites, always check laws, ordinances or
regulations that may govern your hunt.
- Always leave gates as they are found whether open or closed.
- Never do anything that might contaminate wells, creeks or other water
supplies.
- Never tamper with signs, maintenance facilities or equipment.
- Never damage or destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost
towns or deserted structures.
- Never spook, taunt, provoke or otherwise disturb wild or domestic animals.
- Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or
find.
- If necessary, clean up after a previous detectorist. Acting in spite
of him or even just ignoring his trangressions will only hurt us all in
the end.
- Always use the correct digging or probing equipment to make the least
intrusion or marks.
- Never throw trash finds back in the hole.
- Leave as little sign of your passing as possible.
- Always fill in your holes, including plowed fields, sand pits, beaches
and in water.
- Study, learn, appreciate and protect our heritage of natural
resources, wildlife, and private property.
- Be thoughtful, considerate, courteous and respectful of others at all
times.
- Protect the metal detecting hobby by being a good will ambassador at
all times.
- Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical
value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest
legislation of your area.
- Report any live ammunition or other potentially lethal or toxic
objects you may find to authorities after carefully noting or marking
the location.
- Report any criminal activities you see to proper authorities
immediately. You are not a "snitch" or a "tattletale". You are a citizen
with both rights, privileges AND duties. Respect them as they were
hard-earned by many who came before you.

SOURCE: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=639

As meteorite hunters and researchers it's vitally important that we
adopt these rules as a community (which I'm sure most hunters already
follow). Most people I know already do this, but don't really promote
it. It's kind of an "unwritten" common knowledge rule.

Well, I say we should adopt it, write it out. Put this into practice,
and stop wasting time talking about it. If you as a hunter/researcher
want to effect a positive change, protect our rights as hunters,
preserve the lands we hunt on, and advance the science, then stand
together with other hunters which have adopted this code.

Hence my purpose and proposal for the MHA. (Meteorite Hunting
Association) It's to be an association which does all of the above.
Promotes responsible meteorite hunting and data collection, while at the
same time providing this data and meteorite material to both science and
the private sector collectors, museums, and researchers. I can't express
to people how important planetary science is to us, and as a layman to
be able to participate at such a direct level with advancing this
science to me is the most exciting and rewarding thing in the world!
(next to being a new dad of course)

Step up and speak out!

Join the MHA.
(Send me an email privately and I will put you on the "growing"
tentative list of members for when we launch publicly)

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorite Hunting & Collecting Magazine
Meteorites USA