[meteorite-list] Habitable Martian Environments Could be Deep Beneath Planet's Surface

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:07:26 -0400

I don't understand why people got so excited about a habitable "earth-like"
exoplanet, (not earth-like at all by any stretch of the imagination), that's
light years away, when right next door we have an actual earth-like planet,
or at least it used to be, that should be teeming with signs of life. The
goal of all the orbiters, probes, and little four-wheeler labs is to find
signs of life. Yet they have turned up no verifiable evidence that life ever
existed there. I will never for the life of me, understand why life never
took hold and thrived there. I also can't understand how Mars' core
magneto-dynamo conked out. If it could be jump-started and the magnetosphere
re-constituted, then we could terra form the planet and build up an
atmosphere. This could provide a place for human migration when the sun
swells up and consumes the earth. It would at least buy us a little more
time. If humans can't live there, maybe we could establish a colony of
lichens, anything would be better than nothing!