[meteorite-list] Professionals No Longer Sought

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:01:27 +0200

Hi Bill,

&
>an unconditional guarantee

I would regard that not only as a matter of course, but as the prerequisite
for somebody to establish as a professional meteorite dealer at all.

But that you have also with collectors, selling here and there a piece to
make room in their collection
or with those collectors frequently selling meteorites to finance their
collection or their hunting activities
and most of them wouldn't call themselves "professionals".

In fact, if you remember that there are sometimes some, doing that, who
explicitly want to be told apart from those, who are in meteorites "only for
the money",
because they feel to be something more elevated,
but who nevertheless are selling meteorites on a regular base, providing
these standards,
- they would insist, not to be called a "professional dealer".

Therefore I think, these criteria alone, don't make yet a professional.
And certainly there are many collectors, who have the same competence in the
field like those, who are called professional dealers.

Well and that I listed at length all the safeties and authentication points,
happened, because I don't agree with Carl.
I think, if you pay attention to a very very very few points
ooooor if you just use simple common sense,
then collecting and purchasing meteorites is an extremely safe field.

My uncle Alex is still in vacation, he would break it down to the simple
rule: Know your dealer!

But in fact it's going beyond.

And because there are always new members here on the list,
I thought it would be o.k. to list all these points, which they can't know
yet,
also for David Gunning to see,

that with meteorites the requirements of authentication and safety are much
more complicate than with such mass products like flawless diamonds :-)

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----