[meteorite-list] More on Meteoritic Enstatite

From: David Gunning <davidgunning_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:44:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

While poking around the top shelves of my library, I came across a
reference to "enstatite" in Dana's 6th Edition (copyright 1892 by Edward
S. Dana, published by John Wiley & Sons) which I hope other meteorite
affectionardos (sp?) will enjoy as I do, and I quote:

page 347: "Var.-1. With little or no iron; Enstatite. Color white,
yellowish, grayish or greenish white; luster vitreous to pearly; G.=
3.10-3.13. CHLADNITE, Shepardite of Rose, which makes up 90 p.c. of the
Bishopville meteorite belongs here and is the purest kind. VICTORITE,
occurring in the Deesa meteoric in rosettes of acicular crystals, is
similar."

If anyone has a sample of either of these two historic meteorites and
wants to find-out if they glow by ultraviolet, I would be delighted in
assisting you make that determination.

Have Light Will Travel!

Dave Gunning