[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Re: Ultraviolet Space Rocks]

From: David Gunning <davidgunning_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 07:30:57 -0400 (EDT)

--------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Ultraviolet Space Rocks
From: "David Gunning" <davidgunning at fairpoint.net>
Date: Mon, October 4, 2010 7:28 am
To: edeckert at triad.rr.com

Excellent point, there, Ed. Wouldn't it be useful information if those
meteorite cutters out there were considerate enough to mention their
cutting lubricant medium at the point of sale? Concerning the idea that
there may be a degree of comfortability by being able to predict a
particular cutting fluid's response on a given specimen, maybe. But,
then, part of the fun and allure of fluorescent mineral testing may be
associated with the notion that unexpected results and unusual UV colors
can occasionally rear their lovely faces and sometimes be as quite and
totally unexpected as they were unpredictable!

I've got a collection of diamond crystals I dug in Arkansas that show a
range of fluorescent color values, particularly with midrange UV, that
were as totally unexpected and immensely enjoyable to look at as they are
considered rare and unheard of in diamond collecting circles.

Yours for the light!

Dave Gunning